Senior Industrial Designer
Who we are: Bally Design is a Pittsburgh-based consultancy with a skilled team of industrial, graphic, and interface designers; facilitators, researchers, and engineers; creative thinkers and healthy skeptics. We are located in Pittsburgh’s vibrant market neighborhood, the Strip District.
Who you are: Bally Design is seeking an experienced Industrial Designer with the proven ability to lead and support projects with a strong emphasis on delivering superb design solutions and helping our clients succeed. We’re looking for someone with a varied portfolio demonstrating expert-level proficiency in design for complex products who is a driving force for innovation. Given Bally Design’s 50+ year human-centered design philosophy, we’re seeking a champion of empathy in design.
- 15+ years of experience as an Industrial Designer.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Industrial Design.
- An outstanding portfolio of design work.
- Excellent hand and digital sketching skills for communicating ideas and concepts.
- Ability to create hand models and mock-ups in a variety of mediums as a means of testing interactions at scale, as a way to further learn and develop an idea.
- A desire to collaborate with other designers, willing to accept and offer criticism.
- Independent thinker and worker who can easily adapt to a team approach.
- Strong understanding of materials and manufacturing processes and can apply these considerations throughout concept and design development.
- Great eye for aesthetics and can create photo-realistic renderings from CAD.
- Highly proficient at building conceptual CAD with some proficiency in building early-stage production-ready CAD.
- SolidWorks, Keyshot, Adobe Creative Cloud, and MS Office proficient.
- Previous experience working in a consulting firm is preferred.
- A portfolio must be provided in order to be considered for this position.
- Detail-oriented project management skills, including budget, personnel, and schedule management.
- Work closely with clients in order to understand project goals and design constraints while helping to define the problem.
- Conduct user research efforts to better understand the customer journey and product use in context, utilizing various design thinking tools.
- Generate highly practical, creative concepts while still pushing the boundaries of possibilities.
- Present concepts to clients for feedback and intelligently synthesize input to refine the design effectively.
- Construct both non-functional and functional prototypes utilizing a variety of techniques at various stages of the design process.
- Work independently and in close collaboration with other designers on the team.
- Contribute to proposals and budgets, and adhere to schedules of internal and external support, within project budgets.
- Ensure deliverables are met per client expectations and the proposal and meet or exceed quality standards.
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and complexity because sometimes that leads to the most unique, unexpected design solutions.
- Desire to work in an environment where things move quickly, and you are happy to adapt as situations shift.
- Have a true passion for empathy and human-centered product design, as evidenced by your career and education choices.
- Are familiar with how to plan and maintain client projects from start to finish.
- Are self-motivated and can work independently, if needed.
- Can see the big picture and connect the dots.
- Can quickly build credibility and client confidence.
While you will be asked to push the envelope of creativity and innovation, you must do so in the context of technological realities and project constraints. You will collaborate directly with clients to navigate design priorities and shepherd projects from initial conceptualization through to implementation and launch.
- Hybrid Work Schedule Option
- 401(K) Matching
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Short-term Disability
- Long-term Disability
"*" indicates required fields